SESSION 1: Association of Paroling Authorities International (APAI) Speaker Series
- TRANSGENDER 101: Did you know that transgender folks are twice as likely to experience homelessness as the general population? We are also twice as likely to experience unemployment. For transgender people of color that goes up to a staggering four times! Transgender people experience discrimination and even physical violence on a consistent basis. Transgender 101 will be an introduction to transgender people, our lives and issues. Transgender people are not known and understood by others, and our training is meant to address this lack of information and experience. Adrien Lawyer, Co-Director of the Transgender Resource Center of New Mexico, provides basic training including a chance to engage in dialogue and have your questions answered directly. Our objective is to personalize transgender folks and to increase visibility and awareness while decreasing the discrimination, fear, hostility and violence that is routinely directed toward members of our population. We also encourage our audiences to examine their own gender identity and the cultural norms and expectations we hold surrounding gender and sexuality.
Who Should Attend:
- Community Corrections
- Community Corrections
- Parole and Releasing Authority Chairs, Members, and Staff
- Key Staff Professionals in Institutional Parole Agencies
- Parole Analysts and Hearing Examiners
- Probation and Hearing Officers
- Community Corrections Leadership
- Federal, State, and Local Judges
- Criminal Justice Professionals with Job Focus in Parole and Release
Sep 14, 2020 (03:00 pm) - (04:30 pm)
Mar 09, 2021
THIS IS REGISTRATION FOR THE TRANSGENDER 101 SESSION ONLY
Registration fee waived for members. Link to meeting will be sent out prior to each session. The Association will conduct audits of membership lists for those who are registered. If you are not a member, you will be asked to pay $15 per session or join as an individual member ($65) to view all five at no additional cost.
For more information, contact:
Ashley Koonce, Project Coordinator
Correctional Management Institute of Texas
George J. Beto Criminal Justice Building
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77341-2296
Fax: (936) 294-1671
Phone: (936) 294-1706
If paid, full refunds will be given to those who cancel in writing more than ten (10) working days prior to the training. A refund of 70% of the fees paid will be authorized when a written request for cancellation and refund of conference or program fees is submitted less than ten (10) working days prior to the scheduled start of the program. If unpaid, those who cancel in writing more than ten (10) working days prior to the training will have all fees waived. When a written request for cancellation is submitted less than ten (10) working days prior to the scheduled start of the program, the participant will be responsible for 30% of the conference rate at the time they registered. The Correctional Management Institute of Texas reserves the right to retain or collect fees in full for those who fail to cancel in writing prior to the training or for those who fail to attend. Substitutions are permitted at anytime.
* Unless otherwise noted, hotel arrangements are the responsibility of the participant.